MBA is much sought after program all over the world. In India, the entrance test for management studies is one of the toughest challenges a student can face. Is an MBA abroad any different? Needless to say, it differs in several ways. Thus we seek answers to the double queries regarding eligibility and the entrance test an aspiring student wishing to enrolinto abroad universities. The coveted MBA abroad could be a dream come true to many a student.
A Quick Glance at requirements for MBA abroad:
An aspiring MBA candidate has to cross the hurdle of an Admissions Committee. They have certain norms for evaluating candidature. Let’s check:
- Academic Credentials: The preferred qualification is a full-time Bachelors degree in any discipline.
- Work Experience: Most B-Schools for MBA abroad look for candidates with substantial exposure in the corporate world, preferably in managerial roles. Team lead, planning and co-ordination skills are what they look for.
- Application Information: MBA abroad has an elaborate application formality containing a lot of information for The key sections in the form are:
- General: It is for the provision of personal information, which also includes your academic background and performance.
- MBA Essay: It is a crucial document seeking a lot of data from you,including your past career inputs and your perceptions about MBA and post MBA career projections and goals. It helps the Admissions Committee to gauge an individual,noton statistics alone. Usually, the essay is 200 to 400 words long, but sometimes they may be open-ended.
- Recommendations:It is another crucial component in the application process. At least 2 to 3 specific recommendations are expected. The formats may vary in abroad universities.
Importance of MBA Essay:
In any B-School application, MBA essay is of critical importance. It is practically aimed at revealing the human side of the candidate far removed from the grades and numbers. It allows the Ad Com to assess your personality concerning your strength and weaknesses and how you sail through challenges. Finally, it also helps the Ad Com to decide if the candidate is a good match for the target school. It is here that you can convincingly explain career gaps, which is slated to stand severe scrutiny.
Presence of career gaps in MBA Essay:
Breaks in education and career are not unusual. It may happen in so many scenarios. It could a personal or family emergency. A break can also be a means to act out of the box and look for rejuvenation. The question raised is not the break itself, but the nature of breaks. It requires clear thought and skills to communicate the reasons cogently so that the Ad Com is convinced about the necessity and not perceive you negatively.
Ways to handle career gaps in MBA Essay:
Career gaps need not be a rarity and has already been averred. What is of prime importance is that reasons should be convincingly presented. It is never a good idea to keep the Ad Com guessing as there is a possibility in their guessing wrong. So here are some tips for handling career gaps which can make a positive impact on the Ad Com.
- You should be able to showcase that you handled the gap with equanimity and maturity.
- You should project your sincerity which impacted the outcome positively.
- You must demonstrate through your essay that the interim was an opportunity to accomplish life’s challenges with aplomb.
- It is important to stress that everything that needed to be done humanly was done in an exemplary manner
When you plan to pursue MBA abroad, it is absolutely imperative that you are meticulous about the way you go about it. Application norms vary in abroad universities. It pays to be sincere and candid about your credentials and intent, which will help your application to be looked with positivity.