One of the easiest to work with and versatile fabrics available is cotton. If you’re a keen crafter or sewing enthusiast, then you’ve probably got scraps of fabric lying around just waiting for a project to be used on. If you’re looking for a neat organiser for all your sewing equipment or arts and crafts brushes and paraphernalia, then why not use some cotton to make a handy holder?
What you’ll need
— Approximately 1 metre of cotton. For new White Cotton Fabric, visit http://www.higgsandhiggs.com/fabrics/plain-cotton-fabric.html
— Various colours of embroidery thread
— fabric scissors
— decorative ribbon
1. Fold the metre of cotton in half and then fold it again. This should give you four layers of fabric.
- You need to make a clean edge, so make a crease of approximately 1 inch on the bottom edge of the square of fabric.
- Fold up the bottom edge of the panel to match the top edge. Leave a gap of about 2.5 inches at the top of the fabric square as this will be your first pocket for holding your craft supplies.
- Fold up the new bottom edge to meet the top edge, leaving 2.5 inches of the gap from the first pocket. This makes the second pocket.
- Create a tight roll around the edges to make a clean edge. You might want to roll it about twice to disguise any raw edges. Pin the fabric in position to prevent it from moving.
- You’ll need to work in the ribbon into one of the sides as this is what will hold your brush rolls shut.
- Use a whipstitch around the rolled-upfabric to keep it securely in position.
- This is the part where you need to decide what your needs are and choose how to build your pockets. Cross stitch at various points to create the size you need for your pockets
- Repeat steps 1-6 again, working in the ribbon while you’re rolling the fabric. Sew a whipstitch around the rolled-up fabric, securing it in place and add some of your favourite colours of embroidery to give your craft supplies holder a bright pop of colour.
- The last step is to customise your bespoke craft supplies holder in any way you want. Think about the items you want to store inside the pockets and create and adjust the compartments accordingly. Sew cross stitch over the various pockets and hey presto – you’ve created your very own unique craft supplies pocket holder!